- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup frozen stir-fry pepper blend, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups diced potatoes or frozen Southern style hash browns
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash cayenne, optional
- 1 16-ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 cup whipping cream
Fry bacon in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, until crisp. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Add stir-fry blend and celery to bacon grease and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add flour, stirring, 1 minute. Add bay leaf and 1 can of the chicken broth, stirring until smooth.
Add remaining can of broth, diced potatoes, frozen corn, thyme, salt, black pepper and cayenne, if desired. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. When potatoes are tender, stir in cream-style corn and whipping cream and heat through. Do not boil.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.