- One sheet of thawed puff pastry or crescent roll dough
- Gouda cheese
- spicy brown mustard
- smoked sweet paprika
- Roll out the puff pastry on a well floured or counter. Put the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make slits in the puff pastry like pictured above. You are going to overlap the strips to close the puff pastry.
- Squeeze some mustard down the middle of the puff pastry. About 2 Tablespoons.
- Spread the mustard out using a pastry brush or knife. Top with smoked sweet paprika.
- Arrange the Gouda slices evenly on top of the mustard. Top with additional spice if desired.
- Overlap the strips of puff pastry.
- To make an egg wash, whisk together the egg and a few teaspoons of water. Brush the egg wash over the braided puff pastry. Seal the ends together tightly.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.