- 2 cups stout (such as Guinness)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (enough to make the frosting sufficiently stiff)
- 1.5 tbsp Bailey’s
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 cupcake pans.
- Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, 20-30 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes onto rack and cool completely.
- Cream butter, powdered sugar and Bailey’s until it’s a nice semi-stiff consistency
- Pipe icing onto cupcakes.