- 1 beet, or 1 small can of beets
- 2 parsnip
- 3 carrots
- ½ red onion
- ½ baguette, day old, about 1½ cups, cut to about 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- ¼ cup kalamata or nicoise olives, halved (optional)
- 2 ounces fresh Mozzarella, cut to ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Small chunk of block Parmesan cheese (about an ounce), freshly shaved
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop the beet into 1-inch chunks. Peel parsnip, keeping in mind that the center is woody. Chop around it into 1-inch chunks. Peel and chop carrots into 1-inch pieces. Peel the onion and slice into 6 wedges. Add all vegetables to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Now make a flavored oil with which to coat bread and vegetables. Zest lemon and combine with minced garlic and about a teaspoon of salt on a cutting board, smashing to make a paste. Add to small mixing bowl with ½ up olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice and rosemary. Mix together well and pour half of the olive oil mixture over vegetables. Toss well to coat. Reserve other half of oil mixture. Bake vegetables for 45 minutes.
- Take other half of oil mixture and pour over bread cubes. Add cubes to baking sheet and toss well with oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
- Remove vegetables after 45 minutes and mix with bread cubes, capers, olives, Mozzarella, arugula, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and Parmesan. Season to taste.
Can be served warm or cold.